Since being presented to the Company in 1968, our splendid 9 foot long Narwhal Horn (which is actually a tusk) from a Narwhal Whale, dating from 1801, was processed at ceremonial occasions. Sadly over time it became too fragile to be moved and has been restored by Teresa Heady, the Senior Conservator at St Paul’s Cathedral. The Clerk of Guildhall Chamberlain’s Court, Murray Craig, very kindly agreed that it be placed on permanent display in the Court Room.
On 18thJanuary, Horners attended the Court Room for its unveiling. It is now displayed, upright in a Perspex case, in a prominent position for all who enter to see. The Master unveiled the horn and the Keeper of Horn, Past Master Georgina Scott, gave us a talk on its history. Murray Craig then told us about the other artefacts in the Court Room, all items from different Livery Companies illustrating their crafts.
Those seeking Freedom of the City of London attend Guildhall in the Court Room for the ceremony and will all, we hope, observe our Narwhal Horn in its new home.
You can see more pictures in the Gallery by clicking here.